Welcome back, Fierce Feminine Leaders! In this episode, I have a special guest on the air with me – Julie Weeks, President and CEO of Womenable, a for-profit social enterprise that works to enable women’s entrepreneurship worldwide.
Julie’s business focuses on helping women-owned businesses through improved systems, policies, laws, programs, and research-based knowledge to help women in the creation and growth of their companies. Julie is the leading expert in the field of women enterprise development, with over 30 years of experience in the public and private sector.
Since 2007, Womenable has partnered with American Express OPEN to develop and deliver research-based statistics on the role that women-owned businesses have had on the post-recession market throughout the United States and globally. She joins us today to share a few of the statistics that the 2016 State of Women-Owned Businesses Report has revealed this year in comparison to previous years, as well as shares some insight on how she grew her business and tips for women who are considering starting a business in the near future.
Thank you, Julie, for being on the show today and sharing this valuable information with the Fierce Feminine Leadership listeners.
- There are 11.3-Million women-owned businesses in the United States employing nearly 9-Million people and generating over $1.6-Trillion in revenue.
- Women-owned businesses make up 38% of the business population and employ 8% of the country’s private sector workforce.
- Since 2007, nearly 1,100 net women-owned businesses are launched each and every day.
- 44% of women-owned businesses are owned by women of color in the United States.
- Between 2007 and 2016, 79% of the net new women-owned businesses are owned by women of color.
- The share of employment that are accounted for women-owned businesses, as well as revenue, remains flat lined since 2002. Employment shares have only grown by one percent – from 7% to 8%. Revenue shares have remained unchanged, at 4%.
- The fastest growth regarding industry sector is among the smallest kinds in business; the service sector has doubled since 2007.
- 8 in 10 United States businesses are single-person, private owned businesses, with 9 out of 10 being women-owned.
Tips Julie Shares:
- Be relentless (in a good way); persevere to reach your business goals.
- “Stick with it; success doesn’t happen overnight.”
- Remember – teamwork is important. Balance your strengths and weaknesses. Hire other people to handle your weak points to grow a strong business.
- Most importantly – have fun!
To get your hands on the 2016 State of Women-Owned Businesses in the United States Report, visit http://www.womenable.com/.
An Open Invitation to All You Fierce Feminine Leaders
Are you a coach, consultant, entrepreneur, or service provider wanting to sell your expertise and build your brand? I want to invite you to register for my brand new, free training webinar coming up on May 18!
You will learn:
- The three stories you must tell to become a globally recognized expert, attract influential clients and double your sales in as little as 12-months.
- Exact sales and marketing structures you need to build a multiple 6-figure business
- Why so many coaches, consultants, and service providers struggle to replace their corporate salaries.
I am going to give you a behind the scenes look at how I earned a fabulous income as a global thought leader from my base in Canada!
One lucky live participant will win a free gift!
To register for my free training webinar “Stories That Sell,” head over to http://www.eleanorbeaton.com/storiesthatsell
Until next time…