While society thinks that being selfish is something negative, there are advantages – especially when it comes to your professional life. This “selfishness” does not mean you should neglect your responsibilities and valuable relationships. It simply means giving yourself time to focus on your priorities so you can have the energy to make progress on the things that are essential to you and your career.
Today, I’m sharing why successful women are more selfish when it comes to their priorities and why you should learn to embrace episodic selfishness — an essential tool that allows you to drive your career forward while keeping your sanity. I’m also sharing why women struggle to be selfish, how being selfish boosts your performance, and some practical ways to be selfish without alienating support and the people that matter.
“Reframe selfishness as focus.”
Today on the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast:
- The fear of being selfish
- Why you need to allow people to fail
- Being noble vs. leading to burnout
- Why women are reluctant to be selfish
- A look at Anna Fels’ report about how women perceive ambition
- When a woman’s goals become acceptable
- How athletes become “selfish” with their time to achieve their full potential
- The mindset that will prevent you from making an impact
- How your focus is under siege
- What episodic selfishness is
- How long moments of episodic selfishness should be
- What women need to unlearn about setting boundaries
How to Focus Your Priorities:
- Lay down boundaries.
- Focus on the things that are important to you.
- Episode 259: Why Your Fear of Overwork is Killing Your Ambition
- Do Women Lack Ambition? A Study by Anna Fels on Harvard Business Review
Fierce Leadership Quotes:
- “Focus is the core psychological skill of high performance.”
- “Focusing on what you need to do to accomplish your goal rather than blocking out everything else is fundamental to being productive, organized, and high-performing.”
- “Your biggest limitation is the belief that you need to be all things to all people.”
One of the Most Important Gifts You Can Give Yourself!
Do you want to learn how to set powerful boundaries so you don’t get burned out and eventually tap out? Give yourself the vital gift to learn how to effectively set boundaries and know why you need to start saying no more than you say yes. Sign up now for my free training webinar called Stop the Coffee Dates: The Boundary-Setting Master Class for Women that’s happening on April 10, 2018.
Dial Up Your Impact, Influence, and Income in 2018
Are you ready to take your leadership and influence to the next level in 2018? Join the Impact & Influence Leadership Lab for Women with Eleanor Beaton – the world’s premier leadership training and implementation program designed specifically for female leaders! This is a 8-week mentoring program for professional, ambitious women in business who are ready to take their leadership skills to the next level and truly step into their power. Visit the Leadership Lab for Women website to see all of the amazing content, tools, and services you will receive by registering today to claim your seat at the table!
Love the show? Let us know!
Are you a fan of the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast? If the tips and interviews we share in each episode have helped you gain the confidence and inspiration to become a better, more powerful leader, head on over to iTunes, subscribe to the show and leave your honest review to let us know! Each month, one lucky podcast reviewer will be selected to receive a free coaching session with me – Eleanor Beaton!
What are you waiting for? Head on over to iTunes, subscribe and leave a review to enter your name into this month’s drawing!
And, if you really want to ramp up your fierceness…
Reach out to us for a free 30-minute Bold Women in Business Makeover Session with me or one of the fabulous coaches on my team!
Explore your path and discover how you can be the fiercest lady-boss possible. Visit EleanorBeaton.com/discover.