Margaret Dawson is the Vice President of Portfolio Product Marketing at Red Hat. A 20-year veteran in the tech industry, she was recently the 2018 Women in IT USA winner as well as the Business Role Model of the Year for the United States. With a background on traditional communication, Margaret has led teams of all sizes – from startups to Fortune 500 companies such as Microsoft, Amazon, and HP.
Margaret joins me today to share the significance of setting strong boundaries and the relevance of “letting your light shine.” She discusses how she established clear boundaries and expectations in high-performing work environments and shares behind-the-scenes stories of how she balanced the demands of her career and home life. She also shares the role that vulnerability, openness, and honesty play in the trajectory of your career as well as the importance of having different types of support in the development of your leadership skills and the kind of leader that you are going to be.
“The greatest power comes when you fully let your unique light shine.” – Margaret Dawson
Today on the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast:
- Her childhood experiences that shaped her character, work ethic, and the leader she ultimately became
- How to be a more compassionate leader
- Her definition of “power” and its impact on career success
- Why it is your responsibility to help the future generation find their light and power
- Where true confidence comes from
- How to squash your limiting beliefs
- Key shifts she made in the course of her career
- How her Amazon experience changed the trajectory of her career and business perspective
- How the pivots in her career allowed her to take in a much broader view of leadership, management, and life itself
- The crucial role that curiosity plays in producing amazing products and companies
- What “socializing ideas” means and its impact on product creation and the health of the organization
- How to keep your ego in check as a leader and still use your experience to help others be successful
- Why boundary setting is very crucial
- The effect of letting others dictate where your boundaries should be
Margaret Dawson’s Top 3 Success Tips for Women:
- Figure out what’s important to you and what you’re passionate about. Let your light shine to everyone.
- Be willing to try new things and take on new challenges.
- Forgive yourself – and others.
Fierce Leadership Quotes:
- “Power, to me, is when you are harnessing all the goodness that is YOU.” – Margaret Dawson
- “The greatest thing you can achieve as you lead is experience with humility.” – Margaret Dawson
- “You are grounded in who you are so that other people’s perceptions do not change your own perception of who you are or what you do.” – Margaret Dawson
- Intimacy and Desire Book by Dr. David Schnarch
Join the Exclusive Incubator Program!
Are you ready to build, leverage, and scale your business to the next level? Ready to maximize your leadership skills and grow your business to 7-figures and beyond? Join our Incubator Program – the 12-month high-octane program that blends leadership strategy, accountability, and business building support to help you propel your business to the next level and increase your earning power. Head over to EleanorBeaton.com to learn more about The Incubator Program and submit your application today!
Dial-Up Your Impact, Influence, and Income in 2019
Are you ready to take your leadership and influence to the next level in 2019? Join the Impact & Influence Leadership Lab for Women with Eleanor Beaton – the world’s premier leadership training and implementation program designed specifically for female leaders! This is an 8-week mentoring program for professional, ambitious women in business who are ready to take their leadership skills to the next level and truly step into their power. Visit the Leadership Lab for Women website to see all of the amazing content, tools, and services you will receive by registering today to claim your seat at the table!
Love the show? Let us know!
Are you a fan of the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast? If the tips and interviews we share in each episode have helped you gain the confidence and inspiration to become a better, more powerful leader, head on over to iTunes, subscribe to the show and leave your honest review to let us know! Each month, one lucky podcast reviewer will be selected to receive a free coaching session with me – Eleanor Beaton!
What are you waiting for? Head on over to iTunes, subscribe and leave a review to enter your name into this month’s drawing!
And, if you really want to ramp up your fierceness…
Reach out to us for a free 30-minute Bold Women in Business Makeover Session with me or one of the fabulous coaches on my team!
Explore your path and discover how you can be the fiercest lady-boss possible. Visit EleanorBeaton.com/discover.